Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What was the Hall of Fame thinking?

My friends, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. both got ito the Baseball Hall of fame in the first time they could. Ripken appeared on 98.53 percent of ballots to finish with the third-highest percentage behind Tom Seaver (98.84) and Nolan Ryan (98.79). Gwynn received 97.61 percent, the seventh-highest ever, also trailing Ty Cobb, George Brett and Hank Aaron. You need 75 % to get in. My friends the question I ponder now is this :
If Cal Ripken can't get 100 percent who can? Another question to ponder two ballots were blank, how can you not vote those guys in? Is it a first time thing? That is just a silly reason.
On another more local note Jim Ed Rice fell short again. Here is a guy I used to pretend I was when I was in t-ball. So I have a soft spot for Mr. Jim Ed. The people in the know say that he may have a good chance next year. We'll keep hope alive 'til then.

No comments: